Uploading pictures of cocktails, sending bikini selfies or even googling the nearest designer handbag store, the data usage all adds up, and can end up costing you over £1,000 (or a Gucci Soho shoulder bag, if you're into handbag economics).
Want so save your money to buy an actual bag? Follow these handy tips from Understanding Mobile Data For Dummies:
- Pick the right tariff for you. If you like streaming content, you need a tariff with a large data allowance
- Be careful which apps you use. Some free ones can drain your data allowance with advertising (Facebook, for example)
- Keep track of your data allowance with Carphone Warehouse's free Bill Angel app
- Use Wi-Fi when you can. It's generally faster than 3G and won't eat your contracted megabytes
- Be prepared when going abroad, unexpected data charges can rack up fast. Turn off data roaming on your phone
- Limit background applications which can use data without you knowing
- Turn off data when you have low signal to avoid draining your battery
- Limit email retrieval times. Push email uses more data than simply checking every hour or so
- Use the mobile version of websites where available, which have fewer pictures and are friendlier to smaller screens
- And finally a tip from Handbag.com. Turn off your mobile phone and give yourself a digital detox. YOU'RE ON HOLIDAY!
Helpful? Tweet us @handbagcom
THE BEST HANDBAG SHOPS IN THE WORLD
THE SIDE EFFECTS OF LOVING YOUR PHONE TOO MUCH
MORE TRAVEL TIPS