Going abroad this year and don't want to come home to phone bill the size of a small mortgage?
Racking up a huge bill by using your phone to access the internet is pretty easy to do, particularly when you go on holiday. Olly Murs found this out recently on a trip to America. The Xtra Factor presenter ran up a bill of over £1,000 by using his data, mainly on posting pics of him in the pool via Instagram. Oh dear!
Here are some handy tips from Understanding Mobile Data For Dummies to consider when you're on your holiday...
1. Pick the right tariff for you. If you like streaming content, you need a tariff with a large data allowance
2. Be careful which apps you use; some free ones can drain your data allowance with advertising (Facebook, for example)
3. Keep track of your data allowance with the free Bill Angel app from Carphone Warehouse
4. Use Wi-Fi when you can – it's generally faster than 3G and won't eat your contracted megabytes
5. Be prepared when going abroad – unexpected data charges can rack up fast. Turn off data roaming on your phone.
6. Limit background applications which can use data without you knowing
7. Turn off data when you have low signal to avoid draining your battery
8. Limit email retrieval times. Push email (an 'always-on' connection) uses more data than simply checking every hour or so
9. Use the mobile version of websites where available, which have fewer pictures and are friendlier to smaller screens
10. And finally a tip from handbag.com: Turn off your mobile phone. YOU'RE ON HOLIDAY!
The full 'Understanding Mobile Data For Dummies' guide, released for free from Carphone Warehouse and Geek Squad, is available in all Carphone Warehouse stores and www.carphonewarehouse.com/dummies
Have you ever had a huge phone bill after travelling? Leave a comment below to be in with a chance of winning a £100 goodie bag
STEAL MILLIE MACKINTOSH'S JAMAICAN HOLIDAY
EXPERIENCE THE WONDERS OF THE WILD WEST
SIX ALFRESCO DINING VIEWS NOT TO BE MISSED