A member of the cabbage family, this sturdy, strong leafed vegetable, is perfect for absorbing flavours and is a much heartier vegetable than wilting greens. Morrisons' Executive Chef and Head of Product Development, Neil Nugent, has a few quick tips to help you incorporate this trendy veggie into your diet...
• Try steaming or sautéing with garlic, olive oil, lemon and pine nuts, with a little salt and pepper for a dinner-time treat
• Add shredded kale to soups and stews – the simmering helps to soften the fibres and adds a hearty, delicious crunch
If you want to cook with kale try this Kale and Chorizo Stew recipe from the Morrisons M Kitchen. It's a deliciously simple and hearty dish that you can easily whip up at home for the whole family to enjoy...
Kale and chorizo stew
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, peeled and sliced
- 150g chorizo, diced
- 200g kale, shredded
- ½ litre vegetable or chicken stock, made from 1 stock cube
- 1 x 420g can butterbeans in water
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 tbsp dried mixed herbs
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
Heat the oil in a large pan and fry the onion and chorizo for a few minutes until the onion has softened. Toss in the kale, stock, butterbeans, squash, mixed herbs, paprika and tomatoes. Season to taste.
Bring the mixture to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes, until the squash and kale are tender.
Will you be giving this a try?
MARK SARGEANT'S HEALTHY VEGETABLE STIR-FRY RECIPE
GIZZI'S PORK AND CHORIZO MEATBALLS
SPRING RECIPE: ROAST STUFFED LEG OF LAMB