No wonder, when you know that the dance inspired, body-toning workout from the world of ballet helps with flexibility, posture, and toning.
Make like the celebs with these ballet exercises to do at home, courtesy of Rachel Withers, the dancer and brains behind BalletBeFit. The 15-minute workout combines core holds and cardio, and if performed three times a week (combined with a diet obviously), will get you a dancer body in just four weeks.
Plié turned out squats
This exercise targets your thighs and calf muscles.
- Begin sideways to the barre (chair) feet slightly turned out, knees bent and heels raised.
- Pulse by lowering down slightly before returning to the start position (32 reps).
- Lower the heels and hold for a count of 8.
Repeat exercise four times.
Plié Squats with Parallel Attitude
This time we target your thighs individually, before shifting emphasis to your glutes.
- Begin by facing the barre (chair), knees bent, one leg behind the other with back heel raised
- Pulse (32 reps).
- Lift back leg up, knee bent, foot pointed, raise the leg a little higher then lower (32 reps).
Repeat all with the other leg in front.
All focus on your calf muscles.
- Begin facing the barre (chair) feet slightly turned out.
- Rise up onto your toes to a slow, controlled count of 4, before lowering, again to a count of 4 (4 reps), Repeat to a
- count of 2 (4 reps), Repeat to a count of one (32 reps).
- Place one leg behind.
- Rise up onto the toes, count as before (b) and repeat on the other leg.
Grand Battement with Lunge
This exercise challenges hip flexors, quads and core.
- Begin sideways to the barre (chair) feet slightly turned out, arm above the head.
- Lift the outside leg to the front, bring arm to side.
- Lunge forward, weight on front leg.
- Transfer your weight onto back leg with front leg lifted, and then return to the start position (16 reps).
Repeat all on the other side.
Attention returns to those glutes.
- Begin with hands and one knee on the floor, one leg raised with knee bent at 90 degrees, flexed foot.
- Straighten the raised leg in an 'upward' action. Return to the start position (32 reps).
Have you tried the ballet workout? Tweet us @handbagcom
AT-HOME YOGA EXERCISES
KEEP FIT WITH HIKING WORKOUTS
MORE CELEBRITY WORKOUT SECRETS