The liver is the second largest organ in the body and it performs over 40 essential functions that your body depends on - and how do we thank it? By feeding it junk food and gin.
We should be ashamed.
There is no system or part of the body that does not depend to some extent on its function or that may not be adversely affected by the liver being toxic or under-functioning.
Signs that your liver may be out of sorts can include: digestive disturbances, a metallic taste in the mouth, headaches, drowsiness after meals, loss of appetite, an inability to tolerate fatty meals, low energy levels, 'dingy' eyes or dark circles under the eyes, jaundice, pale stools, pain on the right side of the upper abdomen.
It's time to show your liver some love with this three day detox meal plan from nutritionalist Fiona Kirk.
1. Soya milk smoothie (blitz crushed ice, fresh berries and pineapple, soya milk and fresh almonds in a liquidiser until smooth and frothy, sieve into a glass and sip slowly)
2. 2 Omega 3-rich eggs, scrambled on a slice of toasted rye bread
3. 0% fat Greek yoghurt topped with fresh fruit, mixed nuts and seeds and a drizzle of Manuka honey.
Mid morning snack
1. If there is a juice bar near, go for a vegetable juice that includes carrots, celery and parsley
2. Carrot sticks with a small pot of hummus
3. 2 brown Ryvita with mashed, tinned tuna and cucumber slices
1. A bowl of meat, fish, bean or lentil soup with a good swirl of flaxseed oil
2. A mixed salad with plenty of green leaves, herbs, peppers, carrots, tomatoes, radish, corn, cucumber, avocado, topped with meat, poultry or seafood, a handful of mixed seeds and a drizzle of olive oil and lemon juice
3. An avocado halved and stuffed with lentil and rice salad or tinned salmon mixed with a dollop of salsa
Mid afternoon snack
1. A 3 bean salad
2. Sachet of instant miso soup
3. Couple of celery sticks stuffed with nut butter
1. Steamed fish or poultry fillets, lean beef or lamb steak, grilled jumbo prawns or tofu stir fried with garlic and ginger - all served with at least 3 different steamed, roasted or stir fried vegetables or a mixed salad
2. A bowl of meat, fish, bean or lentil soup with a good swirl of flaxseed oil
3. A two egg omelette or fritatta with sauteed onions, leeks, peppers, chillies, mushrooms etc.
Still and sparkling water
Black, green or red bush tea without milk or sugar
Fresh fruit juices mixed 50:50 with water
Fresh vegetable juices
IMPORTANT: If your diet is currently overly-rich in fatty, sugary and salty foods, you may experience a nagging headache and/or tiredness during the first 24-48 hours as toxins are released from fat stores. To counteract this, drink plenty of fresh, filtered water and take some Milk Thistle which gives the liver a helping hand.
Also, you may wish to repeat the 3 days which is fine or just return to the programme every couple of months to ensure your liver knows you care!
For more information, visit fatbustforever.com
Have you been kind to your liver this month? Leave a comment below to be in with a chance of winning a £100 goodie bag
THE TRUTH ABOUT BELLY FAT
HOW TO WRITE THE PERFECT COVERING LETTER
TAMPON DELIVERY SERVICE ANYONE?