But what happens when you go cold turkey and give it up? One family decided to try and chronicled their experience.
Eve Schaub, her husband and their two kids decided to go on a no sugar experiment, and Eve has just released a book called Year of No Sugar to show what they found.
Here's their findings summed up in list form (your sugar addled brain will find it easier to understand).
What happens when you give up sugar
- You wouldn't believe what sugar is in. The family cut out table sugar and honey first, but soon found sugar was in lots more food than they realised.
- Mayonnaise, bread, bacon, yogurt, all had shocking amounts of the sweet stuff. In their local supermarket, out of 200 varieties of bread, they found only two types with no added sugar.
- It vastly improved their health with their children taking less sick days, and everyone getting fewer colds.
- Their palates changed to have a greater sensitivity to sweetness, and sugar laden foods started to repulse them, "Things that normally looked very appealing looked obscene and disgusting," explained Schaub.
- They didn't lose weight, "None of us was looking or needing to. I have two young girls, so I was really mindful to stress how we felt, how things tasted. The last thing I wanted to do was focus on losing weight," explains Schaub.
- After a year, they didn't dive head first into a pool of chocolate. Although they do now eat some foods with sugar, they are much more mindful.
- They didn't have to remortgage their house to go sugar free.
Could you go sugar free? Tweet us @handbagcom
If you want to cut down on your sugar intake, here's some ways to go about it...
Easy ways to beat your sugar addiction
JUNK FOOD MAKES YOU LAZY?
21 WAYS WE CAN'T WAIT TO EAT CHOCOLATE
MORE DIET NEWS