Modern Spring Rolls: Hoisin Roast Duck Rice Rolls recipe
- (465g) 2 large duck breasts, skin on
- 8 sheets of TYJ spring roll pastry (size: 21cm x 21cm)
- 6 tablespoons groundnut oil
- For the rice:
- 1 cup of super premium short grain brown rice, washed until the water runs clear
- 2 cups of cold water
- For the hoisin roast duck marinade:
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoon ginger, peeled & freshly grated
- 1 tablespoon Shaosing rice wine or dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 2 tablespoon runny honey
- 2 tablespoon Hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1 pinch sea salt
- For the pickled vegetables:
- ½ (150g) cucumber, deseeded, julienne
- 4 (150g) small carrots, top and tailed, peeled, julienne
- 4 (100g) celery stalks, julienne
- 4 (40g) spring onions, roots chopped, julienne
- ½ red pepper, deseeded, julienne
- 1 cup of rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoon mirin
- 1 large tablespoon soft brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cracked sea salt
- 1 granny smith apple, sliced into thin half moon slices
- For the garnish:
- 2 Spring onions, sliced into thin strips, soaked in ice-cold water to give spring onion curls
- Dipping sauces:
- 3-4 tablespoon Hoisin sauce in a small bowl
- 3-4 tablespoon Sriracha chilli sauce in a small bowl
Place the duck legs in a zip lock bag, add all the marinade ingredients. Marinade for at least one hour in the fridge.
Heat the oven to 180 degrees. Place the duck legs (including the marinade) round side up on a roasting tray lined with kitchen paper/foil.
Roast for 40 minutes, then turn heat up to 220 degrees, cook the duck legs for a further 10 minutes to cook well done.
While the duck is cooking, in a medium saucepan place the washed rice in.
Add 2 cups of water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer covered for 35 minutes until all the moisture is absorbed.
Fluff up the grains, remove from the heat and let it stand for 10 minutes to rest before handling.
In a small shallow proof non-metallic bowl, add all the pickled vegetable ingredients together with the pickling seasonings and place in the liquid in the fridge.
Quick pickle the vegetables for 10-15 minutes.
Once the duck is cooked, remove from the oven and let it rest for 5 minutes. Once rested, shred the duck legs and place on a serving board. (Keep the bones to make noodle soup or stock).
Take two pieces of the spring rolls pastry.
Place in a diamond shape on the board and then spoon four tablespoons of the brown rice along the middle from the left to the right corner leaving half an inch off the end.
Place a small handful of the pickled vegetables and spread across the top of the rice. Then spoon a few tablespoons of the duck meat across on top of the vegetables.
Place a few slices of granny smith apple over the top.
Bring the two corners together to meet in the middle. Fold each of the opposite corners in over the filling and roll the wrapper into a large “cigar shape”. Repeat and make three more rolls.
Heat up a frying pan or wok, add 6 tablespoons of groundnut oil and place the roll into the hot oil and cook until the wrapper is crisp and lightly golden.
Take it off the heat; slice each roll on the diagonal and place on a serving plate.
Serve with a small bowl of Hoisin or chilli dipping sauce. Garnish with spring onions curls.
Note: The addition of the Granny Smith apples compliments the flavour of the duck giving it a sharp sweet tang.
Recipe courtesy of RSPCA Freedom Food.
GOK WAN'S CHINESE NEW YEAR RECIPE ESSENTIALS
BRILLIANT CHINESE FOOD RECIPES FOR A NEW YEAR FEAST
MORE RECIPE IDEAS