Making your own is not difficult, and is super impressive.
Try it for yourself using festive cranberries and chestnuts.
Best ever chestnut & cranberry stuffing recipe
- 50g unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 100g chestnuts, cooked and roughly chopped
- 100g dried cranberries
- 100g sausage meat
- 200g breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 x 30g pack fresh thyme, leaves picked and chopped
- 1⁄4 x 30g pack fresh sage, leaves picked and chopped
- 1⁄4 x 31g pack fresh flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4.
Melt the butter in a large pan, add the onions and garlic cook gently for 5-10 minutes until softened. Add the chestnuts and cranberries and cook for a further 5 minutes.
Place the sausage meat in a large bowl and break up with a wooden spoon. Add the chestnut mixture, breadcrumbs, egg and chopped herbs, season with salt and pepper and mix thoroughly.
Cover and chill until needed (you can make this a day ahead).
Cook in a buttered shallow ovenproof dish for 30-35 minutes until golden brown.
EASY RECIPES FOR SCOFFING YOUR CHRISTMAS LEFTOVERS
YOUR CHRISTMAS PRESENT SHOPPING SORTED
EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR CHRISTMAS