British asparagus is to the green vegetable world what Creme Eggs are to chocolate - it's only around for a few months, so get your fill now before it disappears.
Asparagus season only lasts between April and June, and with the crazy extended winter we saw, it may even be shorter than that this year. It's not exported either, so it is a treat just reserved for us Brits, so stock up and make the most of it.
Here's some reasons why you should be eating more of it:
1. It can help to cure hangovers and protect the liver against toxins.
2. It improves digestion. Eating asparagus promotes healthy bacteria in the large intestine and can help reduce bloating.
3. It is incredibly low in fat and calories, making it great if you're on a diet.
4. Its anti-inflammatory properties and antioxidants will help to reduce your risk of developing certain cancers.
5. Asparagus contains vitamin K, essential for healthy blood clotting.
6. It's also a rich source of vitamin C, which boosts your immune system.
7. It's a powerful diuretic and will help the body get rid of excess fluid.
8. It is known for it's aphrodisiacal qualities, and was even served to 19th century bridegrooms on their wedding night for that reason.
And don't worry about your knife and fork - the proper way to eat asparagus is with your fingers. Even the Queen does it that way.
Well if it's good enough for the queen...
POACHED SALMON WITH LEMON, ASPARAGUS & DILL
BALSAMIC CHICKEN, ASPARAGUS AND SQUASH RISOTTO
FRESH & EASY FISH RECIPE COLLECTION