A new poll has discovered the most popular ways that men and women call time on an unsuccessful relationship.
According to dating site, SeekingArrangement.com, 'I'm not ready for commitment' is the line most used by women during the talk, while men tend to go for a more direct approach by saying 'it's just not working'.
The results have revealed that women desperately try to let a man down gently and soften the crushing blow, while men tend to be less concerned with emotional explanations.
Men are also more likely to break up by text or email rather than face to face.
The full list of popular break-up catchphrases for men and women are listed below. Let us know what you think (and if you've ever used one)...
The top 10 reasons women give for splitting up
1. I am not ready for commitment yet.
2. This is going too fast for me.
3. You don't earn enough money.
4. You are not mature enough
5. I need to concentrate on my career
6. I don't like your friends or family.
7. It's just not working.
8. We are not going to get married, so what's the point?
9. We have not got enough in common.
10. I don't trust you.
The top ten reasons men give for splitting up
1. It's just not working.
2. I've met someone else.
3. I'm not attracted to you any more.
4. We've lost that sexual spark.
5. It's not you, it's me.
6. I need to concentrate on my career
7. We want different things.
8. I don't want to see you any more.
9. I am not ready for commitment yet.
10. We have not got enough in common.
Perhaps unsurprisingly, men seem to be more focused on sex and physical compatibility than women.
While 52% of women admitted they would break-up with their partner face to face, only 43% of men said the same. 32% said they would do it over the phone, 15% by email and 6% by text. Ouch!
What do you think?
GIVE A HINT FOR NATIONAL BUM SPANKING DAY
5 THINGS TO BE AWARE OF WHEN FLIRTING OVER EMAIL
WOMEN NEED A DAILY DOSE OF PORN