Tantra is a slow form of sex that increases intimacy and creates a mind-body connection that can lead to more powerful and prolonged orgasms. So far, so exciting.
The key to amazing Tantric sex is not to focus on orgasm. As strange as that sounds, it's not the end result that's your main target, but the process of getting to that point of orgasmic bliss. Although breathing, meditation and massage are the three points of the Tantric triangle, a bit of dirty dancing is also recommended for couples who want to experience 'heightened awareness' according to Kavida Rei, author of Tantric Sex: The Path to Sexual Bliss.
From sexy stripping to 'Kundalini Rising' - a type of energising pre-sex meditation, take a look at Kavida's top advice for couples who want to spice up foreplay with some steamy dance moves...
1. The 10 minute Tantra warm-up dance: At the end of a hectic day you'll probably need to blow off some steam before you get down to it, so Kavida recommends this energising warm-up dance. Put on some music that you both love and let your limbs move spontaneously to 'free up your energy'. Yes, you're probably going to feel like a bit of a numpty, but it should release tension and allow your brain to 'switch off'. Once the song is over stop moving, stand still and enjoy the rush of endorphins.
2. Boost your mood: Whatever way you swing it, dancing is still exercise, so you'll be boosting your heart rate and encouraging your brain to produce a whole host of mood-boosting chemicals. In Tantric sex, dance is another way of communicating without words, a bit like staring into each others' eyes during a mindful meditation session. The theory is if you can communicate without words you'll be more intimately connected to your partner...so turn up the radio!
3. Free your pelvis: Dancing is designed to activate your 'kundalini energy' - a powerful sexual force that originates at the back of the sacrum (at the base of your spine). When music hits your ears this energy 'shimmers' up and down your spine, awakening your chakras and leading to a heightened state of awareness.
Moving your hips will loosen your sacrum and encourage you to express your personality according to Kavida. It will also increase your flexibility during love making and give him more control over ejaculation. Not bad for a boogie!
4. The 'Kundalini Rising' dance: Choose some sexy salsa music and dance back-to-back with your hips moving in a snake-like wave. Raise your arms above your head and hold your partner's hands allowing 'cosmic energy to pour down through your body'. When the music ends turn to face your partner, place your foreheads together and breathe. Trust us you'll be snogging like teenagers in no time!
5. Sexy stripping: The Tantric version of stripping is less about sexy lingerie and more about eye contact, natural beauty and breathing. Dance opposite your partner, maintaining eye contact and take it in turns to take one piece of each others' clothes off. Once you're naked, breathe until you're synchronised and then hold each other until the awkwardness has completely disappeared. It doesn't get much closer than that!
What do you think of this dirty dancing connection? Take a look at these amazing sex books you need on your shelf (or hidden away in your drawer)...
HOW TO HANDLE AWKWARD CONVERSATIONS ABOUT SEX
THE BEST SEX POSITIONS FOR ANAL PLAY
5 AMAZING FACTS ABOUT THE SCIENCE OF KISSING
WHAT'S ALL THE FUSS ABOUT 'COUPLES MASSAGERS'?