10 surprising facts about chips
1. Friday is the most popular day of the week to eat chips, with a fifth of the nation's chips being eaten at the end of the week.
2. Nearly 60% of chips cooked at home are oven baked, over a third are fried and three percent come out the microwave.
3. One in six of us visit a chip shop once a week.
4. An average portion of chip shop chips contains 686 fewer calories than a doner kebab.
5. Fat chips are better for you than skinny fries as on average thin chips contain 1.5 times the fat of it's thicker brother.
6. In the 1860s the first fish and chip shop was reported to be opened in London by Joseph Malin, however, it was also claimed that a plaice (tee hee) in Mossley, near Oldham in Lancashire, beat them to it.
7. A quarter of all potatoes grown in Britain are made into chips – that's around 1.5 million tonnes each year, or nearly the same weight as 125,000 full double decker buses. That's a lot of chips.
8. We eat 300 million portions of fish and chips in Britain each year.
9. Fish and chips is the most popular takeaway meal in the UK, being four times more popular than a curry.
10. A portion of chip shop chips contains less fat than a prawn mayonnaise sandwich and can provide you with a third of your daily recommended vitamin C.
Got any thoughts about the mighty chip? Tweet us @handbagcom
HOW TO EAT CHIPS AROUND THE WORLD
BEEF BURGER AND ROASTED GARLIC CHIPS RECIPE
HOMEMADE CHICKEN KIEVS WITH VEGGIE CHIPS RECIPE
MORE RECIPE IDEAS