Compiled by the EU Agency for Fundamental Rights, the large scale reports the UK has the fifth highest incidence of physical and sexual abuse across the EU, affecting 44% of women.
"The enormity of the problem is proof that violence against women does not just impact a few women only - it impacts on society every day," said FRA Director Morten Kjaerum. "Measures tackling violence against women need to be taken to a new level now."
Latest sexual abuse statistics
- 33% of women experience physical and/or sexual violence after the age of 15. That's 62 million women.
- 22% suffer physical and.or sexual violence at the hands of a partner.
- 43% have experienced psychological violence by either a current or previous partner. This can include public humiliation, threats, or having their movements controlled.
- 67% did not report the most serious incident of partner violence to the police.
- 5% of all women have been raped.
- 20% of women under 29 have been sexually harassed online.
- 55% of women have experienced some form of sexual harassment.
This is just not acceptable.
Tweet us @handbagcom
HOW TO HELP A FRIEND IN AN ABUSIVE RELATIONSHIP
WHY ARE SO MANY BRITISH GIRLS STILL AT RISK FROM FGM?
MORE LIFE NEWS
THE LATEST FROM HANDBAG.COM