One of the secrets to coping with a busy life is learning how to use even the shortest amount of relaxation time well. With a bit of imagination, your lunch hour could become an important part of a strategy to get more job satisfaction and manage your time effectively.
Why is it important to take a break?
Many overloaded workers don't take a break because they feel that they don't have time to do so. Others soldier on because they feel that lunch hours are only for wimps. But if you work consecutively for more than four hours, your efficiency takes a massive dip. Scientific research shows that our bodies need to have regular breaks during the day, so your health and your productivity will suffer if you work for extended periods without stopping to relax. Taking a short break give you the chance to recharge your batteries, enabling you to cope better with the challenges of the afternoon.
Ideas for a creative lunch break
If possible, get away from the office at lunchtime and enjoy other things for a while. Make it a rule to banish shoptalk if you spend the time with colleagues. Or, try some of the following:
- Deal with stress problems - bask in an aromatherapy massage
- Pamper yourself - have a facial, a manicure or a pedicure
- Increase your energy levels - swim, go to the gym or attend an aerobics class
- Clear the cobwebs - go for a walk in the park or a spin on your rollerblades
- Spend some quality time on your own - do some sketching or read a good novel
- Indulge in a bit of culture -visit an art gallery or museum
- Take up a challenge - participate in a team sport or a hobby
- Go shopping - get yourself a new outfit or simply browse around the new fashions
Transforming a dull lunch hour into the highlight of your day is a great skill. It's a chance for you to pursue hobbies or activities that you'd otherwise never have time for. And as you start to feel more relaxed, it is likely that your health will improve and your confidence will grow.
APPLICATIONS ARE OPEN FOR THE 'BEST JOBS IN THE WORLD'
HOW TO NEGOTIATE A HIGHER SALARY
ACHIEVE YOUR CAREER DREAMS WITH FURTHER EDUCATION